četrtek, 17. februar 2011

Clearcoat & paddles






After a lot of sanding, followed by some more sanding, with sanding in beetwen I finally put the firs clearcoat on.additinal clearcoats will be added when the inside is fiberglassed. I just put this clear coat for "protection", and well, I admit, to see how it will look. And it looks really nice. Before I started putting the clear coat on, I put a plastic cover above the canoe, to prevent the dust falling on the surface from above, and it helped a lot. Since I will turn the canoe around in a couple of days, and start working on inside (more sandling), I figured I deserve a break from sanding, and I made 2 paddles, different models from the ones we already have. This pair of paddles is a traditiona "beaver tail" shape from Canada, suitable for long trips on flat water. I wanted them to be light, so I chose spruce for my wife's paddle (610 grams finished), and a combination of spruce shaft and larch blades for myself (820 grams), The spruce paddle is finished (I used Tung oil ), I still need to fine sand mine, and decide on a motiv to burn into the wood, and then protect with 5 coats of Tung oil (the first is substantially dilluted for the oil to penetrate deep in the wood, next coats are gradually less dilluted, and the last 2 coats are pure Tung oil). I also made the cunter ribs, which will be mounted to the strongback and they will hold the canoe when I tur it around and start working on the inside. I see more sanding in my future:)

Ni komentarjev:

Objavite komentar