sobota, 5. februar 2011

FIBERGLASSING THE OUTSIDE OF THE HULL






Yesterday was the big day for my project, as I started fiberglassing the hull. As I was unable to obtain fiberglass fabric that would cover the whole width of the hull, I decided to do the fiberglass layup in stages. First we layed the fiberglass on the keel line, and cut a gap in the middle of it, so that the fiberglass would slide down and cover the sides of the canoe, and then, we cut a piece to cover the bottom, with approx 20 cm of overlay.We will see how this will turn out in the end, but I think that next time I will try to avoid cutting fiberglass and just do overaly of uncut fabric some 10 cm to each side of the kleeline. This way i will have a double layer on one of the most exposed parts of the canoe, and also the edge where one fabric overlaps another will be easier to hide. Now it looks like a have a lot of sanding to do if I want to achive smooth looks, which does not make me too happy. So, after the first coat of epoxy dried (but it was still far from cured), I did some light sanding and added a second coat to build up some tickhness. Now I will wait for the epoxy to fully dry (some 48h), and then sand the problematic areas, and add the 3rd coat, and then repeat if necessary. Big thanks goes to Anže, from LAKERCRAFT, as he volunteered and came by to help, despite the fact that he was leaving to Finnland the next morning, and had to atted a family meeting the same evening!

Ni komentarjev:

Objavite komentar