ponedeljek, 7. marec 2011

Glassing the inside







After the clearcoat on the outside has dried I turned the canoe around. It now rests on counter moulds, stations 5 (bow and stern) and staion 0, which is the middle one. After a few minutes of looking at the craft in its proper position it was time to start working. First I had to remove the hot glue leftovers, which I did with a sharp chisel, and then I started sanding. Sanding on the inside is much more time consuming and requires a lot of elbow grease, as the concave curves on the inside prevent the use of random orbital sander.
After al, the sanding, I covered the inside with one coat of epoxy, and then after it dried (not completely, it was still tacky) I put on the same 163g fiberglass, but on the inside I decided to run it across the hull, and overlap the sheets by some 30 cm, which added reinforcement to the hull (like ribs on traditional birch bark canoes), and also produced less waste material. Soaking the fabric was a little more difficult than on the outside, and I got some puddles of epoxy, and some runs, but that will be corrected later (more sanding). All in all I was quite satisfied, and as epoxy hardened it became clear just how much structural integrity that added to the boat.

Ni komentarjev:

Objavite komentar