torek, 8. februar 2011

SANDING AND ADDING ADDITIONAL COATS OF EPOXI





After the fiberglassing was done, there were some details that bothered me, namely, you could still see where the fabric was overlaping even after 3 coats of epoxy. So, I decided to do something about that, and despite different advice, I took a grinder, with 40 grit sanding disc, and started to sand away the epoxy on problematic areas. Boy, was I nervous, as I knew that I must not sand into the fabric itself, so I was REALLY gentle and concentrated. After the high spots were taken out, I sanded the whole hull with 180 grit, to achieve a perfectly fair surface, and then I proceeded with putting on another very thin coat of epoxy over the entire hull. And it worked like magic!!!. Now, even I find it almost impossible to say where the fabric overlaps. So, working with epoxy really makes you look like a pro, even if you are doing it for the first time ( the pros would used a lot less time then I did ).
The canoe looks almost like it is finished (the outside of the hull), so I am really having no problems with letting the canoe sit for a couple of days untouched, for epoxy to fully dry, before next sanding( final sanding before putting on a first coat of 2 part PU clear coat with UV inhibitors), and just comming to the workshop to look at it. But the spring is comming, and the canoe needs to be ready by then, so, I plan turn it around and start working on the inside in the next days!

Ni komentarjev:

Objavite komentar