ponedeljek, 7. marec 2011

Installing the inner gunwales





Gunnels were made from mahogany wood, and are 16 mm wide. On the inside I made some openings to help the water run from the canoe when turned upside down, and the bottom side is at an angle. Since I could get the mahogany boards in 4m lenght only I had to make scarf joints and glue 2 pieces together. I paid attention so that the scarf joint is not where I cut out the drain openings, but rather where the invale is solid. The drain holes end approx 15 cm before the bulkheads, and they also start to get less wide (from 16 mm), and end with 5 mm width at the bow and stern. This is to make for easier curving of the wood and also for visual appeal as the whole boat gets narrower towards the ends.
I only managed to glue one invale today, as I used all the clamps on it, so tommorow comes the other one, and then the outvales.

Ni komentarjev:

Objavite komentar