ponedeljek, 13. december 2010

Cutting the centerline






After the first side of the hull was all planked, it was time to mark the centerline and then cut it. That was the part that I was worried about as it looked intimidating to achieve a straight line by chisel and hand plane. But as I have learned before, when I had to cut one plank on each side that were already installed, but were to wide to fit the curve on the bilge are, it is not so terrible after all. All that is needed is some patience and very sharp plane & chisel.
So, first I have installed the string line from bow to stern, and then marked the projected centerline on planking at each station mould. After that I double checked on the moulds, and made the necessary alignments, and then drew the pencil line on the hull.
After that it was time to cut, and my father in law did that, as I took some pictures. After that I smoothed the rough cut and planed it down to the exact centerline using a chisel and small hand plane.
The only thing left to do was to glue in the centerline mahogany accent stripe, and the first side was successfully planked!

Ni komentarjev:

Objavite komentar