ponedeljek, 13. december 2010

Closing the other half of the hull








The remaining planks had to be cut and fitted to exact lenght by hand, and this process does take some time and patience, but it is well worth it, as the reward is perfectly fitting planks with almost no gaps (which will be later filled by a mix of epoxy and fine sawdust). And I really enjoyed every minute of working with the small plane, as it is amazing how skilled you become with this tool in a couple of hours.I was very satisfied with the result, especially for a complete novice in boatbuilding. The process now was slow, as I had to fit one plank, and wait for the glue to set. I have used the waterproof white carpenters glue from Mitol , and I can really recommend it, as it is nice to work with, dries to transparent colur is non toxic, and cleans easily from your hands (I hate gloves, and they are only put on when dealing with toxic epoxy). Besides it is strong as hell, and in my personal tests even beat a poliurethane wood glue in terms of joint strenght, so really an excellent product!
The last two planks are installed at once, so first I did dry fit(using orange tape to hold the plank in place) the first of the remaining two, and then used the block plane to fit the last mahogany plank.
Then it was time for some glue, and in they went, and the hull was planked. It was time for a quick toast (home made herb liquor) with my father in law, for a job well done! Now, its time to plane all the high spots on the hull and do lots and lots of sanding.

Ni komentarjev:

Objavite komentar