ponedeljek, 10. januar 2011

Fairing, rough sanding and gap filing






During the holidays I spent some time in the workshop, it wasn't the most exciting work, but it is very important stage for the final result. To avoid too much sanding, which produces dust, I first went over the entire hull with a spokeshave and home made metal scraper (basically just a flat piece of steel, sharpened with a file). After the high spots were taken out, it was time to fill a couple of gaps in the wood, and I did that by mixing epoxy with fine wood dust (for color matching). For the gaps in mahogany, which were almost non existent, I added mahogony dust, and for the gaps in spruce, I found that the regular baking white flour produces best results when mixed with epoxy.After the gaps were filled I let the epoxy cure overnight, and then the next morning I sanded the entire hull with 80 grit sandpaper, to fair it and produce smooth consistent curves.

Ni komentarjev:

Objavite komentar